Wednesday 28 January 2009

Musings of a job seeker...

One of the best pieces of advice recently imparted to me was; “Your first job may not look like you’d expect it to.”

Aspiring Carrie Bradshaw’s may have designs on landing their first job at Vogue but the reality is that there’s probably more chance of Victoria Beckham being papped in Primark.

The tried-and-tested route of applying for job after job, spending countless days completing lengthy forms and, if you’re lucky, attending interviews may pay dividends for some but for many will prove fruitless (there’s good news to come I promise!).  So, do what any good journo would do…think laterally or to coin an all-too-often-used phrase, think outside the box.

One great thing about women’s magazines is that (surprise surprise!) the workforce tend to be female-dominated and what can women do that men can’t? Arguably, many things but most notably perhaps, they get pregnant! So, bang out an email to these mags, offering your services in the event they need maternity cover. Or holiday cover. Sick cover. Or just someone to make the drinks when the coffee machine gives up the ghost!

The point is that your primary objective should be to make yourself known as that person who is willing to do anything and importantly, do anything with a smile on your face as believe me there’s many that won’t.

Having recently completed work placements on two well-known magazines I was astounded by some fellow workies’ attitude.  When asked to make tea / collect post / walk the editor’s dog, their faces resembled that of Pete Doherty’s upon being told that drug stocks have dried up.

In the immortal words of Sheryl Crow, no-one said it would be easy, but anyone still under the misinformed illusion that the magazine market is a easy nut to crack should pack their bags and close the door on their way out. There will be times when you want to bellow “But I’m not here to be your lacky, I’ve got a degree and I want to write goddammit”, but compose yourself. The Anna Wintour’s and Piers Morgan’s of this world didn’t just waltz out of uni halls and into the editorship, they would have paid their dues and earnt their stripes before they earnt any dollar so you’re in good company.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to take HRT and get in touch with my feminine side so I can cover pregnant women. And let's not forget that Arnie, the men of all men (or machines) got pregnant thanks to his Danny DeVito. If he can do it, so can I!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take. I actually got my current (marketing) job thanks to maternity cover!

    Unfortunately there's no sign of it being extended once the new mum returns. Yet, anyway. But I've got a degree and I want to write dammit!

    ReplyDelete